MendMeShop Treatment Instructions
At MendMeShop, we know that the purchase of your brand-new MendMeShop devices has put you on the right path to healing your condition. Following the treatment protocols below will guide you to use the devices correctly and effectively. This will help to reduce your pain and heal your injury properly, efficiently, safely, and quickly.
The treatment protocols are recommended to achieve optimal results. However, if you are only able to fulfill part of the daily treatment schedule you will still see results; your healing time may just take a little longer.
All treatment protocols outlined below are guidelines only, and are not intended to replace a health care professional’s advice. Remember to always consult your health care professional before using MendMeShop products to make sure they're right for you.
The treatment protocols outlined below are the general recommendations for treating soft tissue injuries. However, everyone reacts to different kinds of treatment in different ways. You may personally find that three ultrasound treatments are too much, and instead choose to do it twice a day. Also, how much time you have throughout the day will determine your healing schedule. When combining treatments for example, a morning and evening treatment of Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy™ is recommended. However, if time in your morning schedule does not permit, similar results can be achieved in lesser time by having a 5-15 minute ultrasound treatment. You can then incorporate an Inferno Wrap™ treatment later in the day (e.g. after work), when you have more time.
List of Treatment Protocols
"Freezie" Cold Compression Wrap Treatment Protocol
Hot and Cold Compression Wrap Treatment Protocol
MendMeShop Ultrasound Treatment Protocol
Inferno Wrap™ Treatment Protocol
Combined Treatment Protocol - Cold Compression, Ultrasound, Inferno Wrap™
MendMeShop Splints Treatment Protocol
"Freezie" Cold Compression Wrap Treatment
In the case of both chronic pain and acute related injuries, we recommend you use your "Freezie" Cold Compression Wrap after flare-ups or physical exertion to reduce any resulting pain and inflammation. Your "Freezie" Cold Compression Wrap can be used any time throughout the day for an immediate response to pain, inflammation and swelling. Follow these instructions for optimum benefit:
- To achieve optimum icing effect, place the entire wrap in the freezer and freeze completely (this will take approximately 2-3 hours). Cold Wraps can be stored in the freezer so they are always ready for immediate use.
- Wrap the frozen wrap around the treatment area, being sure to place the gel insert over the most inflamed or painful area, wherever possible.
- Wrap as tightly as possible, without feeling discomfort. Fasten the wrap to itself using the Velcro. It is important that you secure the wrap as tightly as is comfortable, in order to enjoy the maximum benefits of cold compression therapy.
- Elevate the treatment area as much as possible- try using pillows and/or bolsters to aid elevation.
- Rest as much as possible, and wear your wrap for 15 – 20 minutes, depending on the treatment area. For areas with less fat, skin or muscle, decrease treatment time to 10 minutes. Keeping the wrap on any longer may result in skin irritation, and provides no additional therapeutic benefit.
- Remove the wrap and return it to the freezer for future use.
- Allow the area to return to a normal body temperature (60-90 minutes) before applying Ultrasound or Inferno Wrap™/Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy™ treatments.
Hot & Cold Compression Wrap Treatment
Please note: these instructions are for the MendMeShop Hot/Cold Wrap, NOT the Inferno Wrap or "Freezie" Wrap!
Cold Application Instructions
In the case of both chronic and acute related injuries, we recommend that you use your Cold Compression Wrap after physical exertion, including sport activities or work, to reduce any resulting pain and inflammation. Your Cold Compression Wrap can be kept in the freezer to be used at any time throughout the day for an immediate response to pain, inflammation, and swelling. Follow these instructions for optimum benefit:
- Place the entire wrap in the freezer for at least 1 hour before application.
- Our Hot/Cold ice packs can be stored flat in the freezer so that they are ready for immediate use.
- Return ice pack to the nylon sleeve and arrange according to where you intend to treat. Ensure that the gel packs are placed over the most inflamed or painful area wherever possible.
- For sensitive skin, use additional layers (such as a paper towel) overtop of the wrap.
- Make sure to wrap around the treatment area as tightly as possible without feeling discomfort. Fasten the wrap to itself using the Velcro. It is important to secure tightly, yet comfortably, to enjoy the maximum benefits of cold compression therapy.
- Elevate the treatment area as much as possible- try using pillows or bolsters to aid elevation.
- Rest if possible and wear your wrap for 15 – 20 minutes. For treated areas with less fat, skin, or muscle, decrease treatment time to 10 minutes. Keeping the wrap on any longer than recommended may result in skin irritation and provides no additional therapeutic benefit.
- Remove the gel pack from the wrap and return to freezer for future use.
- Each hot/cold wrap comes with 2 gel packs. Depending on what you are treating, you may decide to use both packs at the same time, or interchange each pack according to your needs.
- Allow the area to return to normal body temperature (60-90 minutes) before applying Ultrasound or Inferno Wrap™/Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy™ treatments.
Heat Application Instructions
Once the inflammation has been reduced, the Hot/Cold wrap can be used to soothe the area with the heated gel packs. Follow these instructions for optimum benefit:
- Remove gel pack from pouch and immerse in a microwaveable container full of water.
- Heat for 1-2 minutes on medium power until pack achieves even therapeutic temperature. Microwave ovens vary in power, so more or less time may be required. Increase or decrease intervals in 15 seconds not to exceed 1 extra minute.
- Alternatively, if no water is available, place gel pack on paper towel and place in microwave for 10-30 seconds (refer to time recommendations on the back of the gel packs).
- Place the pack(s) in their nylon sleeves and arrange on the wrap according to where you intend to treat.
- Secure the wrap around the treatment area, being sure that the gel packs are placed over the most stiff or painful area whenever possible.
- Wrap the device around the treatment area as tightly as possible without feeling discomfort. Fasten the wrap to itself using the Velcro.
- It is important that you secure the wrap as tightly as is comfortable to enjoy the maximum benefits of compression therapy.
- Rest if possible and leave the wrap in place for 20-30 minutes. For areas with less fat, skin, or muscle, decrease treatment time to 15 minutes. Keeping the wrap on any longer than recommended may result in skin irritation, and provides no additional therapeutic benefit.
MendMeShop Ultrasound Treatment
Refer to the Ultrasound Treatment Guide to help you determine the intensity level and length of treatment for best results. Initially, for maximum benefit, the protocol is to incorporate 3 treatments into your daily schedule for the first two weeks, followed in the third week with 3 treatments, every other day. During Week Four, take a break from therapy and allow your body to rest. You can then evaluate your response to the treatment you have received. In Week 5, begin the 4 week plan again and repeat as many times as necessary.
To use your MendMeShop Ultrasound Unit, read and follow these instructions carefully:
- Plug the power adapter into a power outlet/wall socket.
- Apply a sufficient amount of conductive gel on the skin where you intend to apply the treatment, generally about 2 to 3 inches around. This will vary, depending on size of treatment area.
- Press the "timer" button (located on the handle of the unit) once to turn the unit on. The unit will now operate for 5 minutes at a low intensity, as indicated by a red LED light by the "L" mark and the "5" mark on the handle.
- To alter the treatment time:
-Press the "timer" button again to change the treatment time from 5 minutes to 10 minutes.
-Press the "timer" button again to change the treatment time from 10 minutes to 15 minutes.
-Once treatment time is set at 15 minutes, pressing the "timer" button again will turn the unit off. To turn the unit on again, push the "timer" button once more.
Note: Please refer to the Treatment Guide to determine the correct treatment time for your specific condition.
- To alter the operating intensity:
-Press the "mode" buttons to cycle through the low, medium and high operating intensities.
-Note: Please refer to the Treatment Guide to determine the correct operating intensity for your specific condition.
-Note: If you are treating an area directly over the spine, press the "pulse" button once. This will activate the "intermittent pulse" mode - a safer treatment setting for this area.
- Place the transducer head onto the area you intend to treat, ensuring there is enough gel to create a seal between the transducer head and skin.
- Move the device in small circles over the treatment area; keep the unit in constant motion and avoid lifting or tilting the head away from the skin. If you notice the area heating up, apply more gel and keep the device moving more quickly. You may notice more heat near bony areas.
- If you wish to pause your treatment, do not continue running the device if it is not in contact with your skin.
- When the time you set has expired, the unit will turn off automatically.
- To manually turn off the device, press the "timer" button until it runs through the 3 time settings and shuts off (indicated by the LED lights).
- Unplug the device from the wall socket. Do not leave plugged in.
- Wipe the treatment area and transducer head with a clean cloth or towel. Store the unit in its protective box in a clean, dry, climate-controlled environment.
Inferno Wrap Treatment™ - Blood Flow Simulation Therapy™
To get the most from your Inferno Wrap, use the device 2-4 times per day, for 30-45 minute periods. Follow these instructions for optimal usage of your Inferno Wrap:
- Attach the temperature controller to the adapter provided, then attach the temperature controller to the wire coming from the wrap.
- Plug the adapter into your wall socket (120vac – North American power).
- Place the device so that the Energy Web™ is directly over/around the area you will be treating.
- Wrap the device tightly, yet comfortably, around the area you'll be treating. Fasten the Velcro end to the wrap.
- Press the power button once- this is the button on the temperature control with the red icon.
- This will default the device to the lowest power setting (1). Press the button twice more to raise the temperature to the highest heat setting (3). The number of lights lit will increase as the temperature is raised.
- Keep the device on the high setting for 3 for 5 minutes to heat up the Energy Web™.
- After 5 minutes, adjust the heat to a lower temperature, according to your comfort level.
- After your treatment is over (ideally a total of 30-45 minutes), press the power button until no lights are lit next to the power settings, and unplug the device from the wall socket.
As your injury heals and the pain subsides, you can reduce the number of treatments per day. We suggest a treatment first thing each morning, then a treatment before going to bed. In both cases, the treatment will relax the damaged tissue and increase blood flow.
In the case of chronic conditions and inflammation, it is best to limit use to once a day only.
Leave 2-3 hours in between treatments and be sure that the treated area is at normal body temperature before beginning treatment.
Do not use any topical ointments on the treatment area up to 1 hour prior to treatment.
Combined Treatment Protocol
When used as individual treatment devices, you will receive pain relief and healing from all our MendMeShop products. However, the combination of Cold Compression Therapy, Ultrasound and Blood Flow Stimulation Therapy™ treatments will give you the best chance to recover from the nagging soft tissue injuries that negatively affect your life.
How to Combine Treatments
When you experience a flare-up of chronic pain, or immediately after a common soft tissue injury, doctors recommend using the R.I.C.E. formula. This acronym stands for REST, ICE, COMPRESSION, and ELEVATION. Your "Freezie" Cold Compression Wrap provides you with the best COMPRESSION and ICE treatments available. All you have to provide is the REST and ELEVATION.
The next step is to use Ultrasound to reduce pain, inflammation, and the amount of scar tissue forming. At this point in the healing process, combining Ultrasound with Inferno Wrap™ treatments is recommended for optimal results. Combining 3 Ultrasound treatments with 2 Inferno Wrap™ treatments each day for the first 2 weeks will reduce pain and scar tissue and kick start the healing process. During the third week, Ultrasound treatments should be reduced to 3 times a day, every other day. Inferno Wrap™ treatments may also be reduced to 1 per day, depending on your body's reaction to the treatments. Finally in the fourth week of treatment, do not use Ultrasound- allow your body to rest. However, Inferno Wrap™ treatments may continue.
Remember, this is only a guideline for treating general soft tissue injuries. Your treatment schedule will depend on the location and severity of the injury, as well as the time you have available for treatment. Please call our customer advisors if you have any questions.
An Inferno Wrap™ treatment also beneficial for warm ups before activities and during the cool down period following activity.
Sample Daily Treatment Schedule
Once the initial inflammation has been reduced with your "Freezie" Cold Compression Wrap, a treatment schedule similar to the one outlined below should be followed. (Remember, this is a sample only, and adjustments can obviously be made to suit your individual schedule). As healing progresses, fewer treatments are necessary. Refer to the treatment guides provided with your products for further details, or call our customer advisors. Pay attention to how your body is responding to the treatments, as it can often be your best guide.
7 am - Inferno Wrap™ treatment (30-45 minutes)
10 am - Ultrasound treatment (5-15 minutes)
2 pm - Ultrasound treatment (5-15 minutes)
6 pm - Ultrasound treatment (5-15 minutes)
9 pm – Inferno Wrap™ treatment (30-45 minutes)
The treatment protocols are recommended to achieve maximum therapeutic results. However, if you are only able to fulfill part of the daily treatment schedule you will still see effective results- it will just take a little longer.
MendMeShop Night Splint Treatment
Review all instructions before using these products.
Night Splint With Tread
- Place foot in splint with knee in flexed position to achieve the desired degree of dorsiflexion.
- Attach the ankle strap. Adjust the length of the Velcro until comfortable. Do not overtighten the straps
- If numbness, tingling or other discomfort is experienced, loosen straps until comfortable. If either of these symptoms persists, contact your medical professional. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the foot strap.
- Extend the knee to check the tightness of the ankle and foot straps. Adjust Velcro as needed. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the calf strap.
- Dorsiflexion assist straps may be gradually adjusted to increase or decrease foot angle. Incremental adjustment may be necessary if discomfort is experienced. Do not walk while wearing splint without approval from your medical professional.
Dorsal Night Splint
- Place foot in bottom foot loop of the splint.
- Velcro the upper strap to a comfortable fit around your calf.
- Adjust the dorsal flexion straps around your foot to achieve a comfortable stretch. Do not over tighten the straps
- If numbness, tingling or other discomfort is experienced, loosen straps until comfortable. If either of these symptoms persists, contact your medical professional.
- Extend the knee to check the tightness of the calf and foot straps. Incremental adjustment may be necessary if discomfort is experienced.
- Do not walk while wearing splint without approval from your medical professional.
Remember: Always consult your doctor before beginning any treatments.
Do you have more questions?
If you have any questions regarding back pain, treatment or our therapeutic products please contact a MendMeShop Advisor for assistance. You can be assured all your questions will be answered in a thorough and courteous manner by our trained staff.
Within Continental US and Canada call toll free 1-866-237-9608
International Callers 705-445-3505
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We strive to answer all emails within 24 hours. Often you will receive your response sooner.
Our Office Hours
Monday to Friday 8:00am to 8:00pm (Eastern Standard Time)
Saturday and Sunday 11:00am to 6:00pm (Eastern Standard Time)